I love Waylon Jennings, as an artist, as a song writer and as a musician. No one in modern country music today even comes close to Waylon’s style of music. Many can call themselves as outlaws, but Waylon was part of that scene. “Dreaming My Dreams” believe it or not marks the high water mark of Waylon’s career. It was his twenty-second release which was released in 1975. Many call this album as the founder of Hardcore Country, which I will agree too. Upon it’s release, it hit number one on Billboard’s Top Country Albums. Of course, “the number one track off this album was “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way.”
“Dreaming My Dreams” is a collection of good songs. The entire flows nicely with a well rounded song structure. Production is good and you hear Waylon as Waylon was meant to be heard. The album has a good collection of melodies and tempos. It also features a good group of musicians. Lyrical themes not only deal with the subject of love and rowdy women, but this album pays tribute to Waylon’s country music heroes, Hank Williams Sr. and Bob Wills.
This is a good album and any fan of Waylon Jennings will tell you that. I managed to see Waylon perform live in Frederick shortly before he died. He performed “Dreaming My Dreams With You” and “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way.” Those two songs sounded just as good in 2000 as they did in 1975 when this album was released.
1. “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way” Waylon Jennings 3:02
2. “Waymore’s Blues” Curtis Buck, Jennings 2:47
3. “I Recall a Gypsy Woman” Bob McDill, Allen Reynolds 3:01
4. “High Time (You Quit Your Lowdown Ways)”” Billy Ray Reynolds 2:48
5. “I’ve Been a Long Time Leaving (But I’ll Be a Long Time Gone)” Roger Miller 2:45
6. “Let’s All Help the Cowboys (Sing the Blues)”” Jack Clement 3:19
7. “The Door Is Always Open” Dickey Lee, Bob McDill 2:44
8. “Let’s Turn Back the Years” Hank Williams 2:32
9. “She’s Looking Good” Autry Inman 2:32
10. “Dreaming My Dreams with You” Allen Reynolds 2:27
11. “Bob Wills Is Still the King (Live)” Waylon Jennings 3:36
12. “All Around Cowboy” Len Pollard, Jack Routh 2:58
13. “Ride Me Down Easy” Billy Joe Shaver 2:41